News / Nouvelles
First FREE event: Thursday oct 5th, 8:00PM, UCU Agora (by Pivik)
Join us for our FREE opening event, with a beginner friendly intro lesson followed by dancing! This will be a super fun introduction to swing dancing!
Beginner lesson will be from 8:00 – 9:00 PM, taught by our wonderful Steph and Halle. No experience or partner required.
Premier événement GRATUIT: Jeudi 5 octobre, 20h, Agora UCU (près de Pivik)
Joins-toi à nous pour notre événement d’ouverture GRATUIT, avec une lesson pour débutants et de la danse! Ce sera une introdutcion super le fun à la danse swing!
La lesson débutante sera de 20h-21h, enseignée par nul autre que Steph et Halle, nos instructrices dynamiques. Aucune expérience ou partenaire nécessaire
Come see us at our info table tomorrow Septembre 7th, 2017 on University Private (the pedestrian walkway between FSS and Simard) for more information on the upcoming season or just to chat and dance!
Venez nous voir à notre table d’information demain, jeudi 7 septembre 2017 sur privé Université (la rue piétonnière entre FSS et Simard) pour plus d’information sur la saison de dance 2017-2018, ou même juste pour jaser et danser!
FRIENDS! WE ARE BACK! 🙂
Join us for our FREE OPENING DANCE on SUNDAY SEPTEMBER 25TH in the UOTTAWA TERMINUS! 8PM Beginner lesson taught by Steph and Chris followed by 9PM social dancing to the beats of DJ Casserole!
We’re officially done for the summer! Don’t worry; we’ll be back in full swing come September! In the meantime, here are some upcoming events you can attend:
Hey friends! A few items:
1) We have dancing tonight in the Agora! Come finish the season with us!
2) Reminder elections for SwingUO Exec are happening tonight! If you’re interested in running please email your platform to email@example.com ! Join us! We’re hilarious and awesome!
3) Special thanks to our wonderful instructors Alex Foster and Erik Morris , the Pete Liu Quintet, and ALL who attended our year end dance! It truly was an incredible year and I have been unbelievably blessed to spend it with such a great group and a wonderful team who always had my back. Please keep dancing because Ottawa has a social scene that demands to be discovered. You owe it to yourselves to keep learning and growing; we’ve watched you come so far and it’s been such a privilege. Let’s keep the momentum going! You guys are the best, don’t be strangers!
HAPPY LEAP DAY SWINGUO!
Thank you to everyone who joined us at our lesson at the Canadian War Museum yesterday! We had an amazing time dancing to the wonderful sounds of the Peter Liu Sextet and DJ Casserole! Special shout out to our President Margot and VP Logistics Steph for teaching throughout the day and to our awesome members for their ongoing support. We are so grateful to have such great friends and a warm and welcoming Lindy community 🙂
Reminder we will have a special ST.PATRICK’S DAY theme dance AND Jack and Jill on Tuesday March 15th! So come on out in your best costumes to celebrate this lucky occasion and for a chance to win some awesome prizes! Make sure you RSVP here: https://www.facebook.com/events/576694389166175/ and email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your preferred dance role (lead or follow) if you’re interested in participating!
Here’s a video of Margot and Steph teaching yesterday! As always, see you on Tuesday friends! xoxo, Cassie
Hey friends! This is just a reminder our FREE kickoff dance is happening THIS Sunday! We’ll be having a free beginner lesson at 7pm being taught by the wonderous Steph and Erik then a social dance with tunes from DJ Casserole and mystery DJ! It’s SEMI-FORMAL, so wear your favourites! See you there!
Our regular lessons start up THIS TUESDAY with Intermediate class at 7pm with Adam and Laura and Beginner class at 8pm with Steph and Erik! This is a reminder that our classes are PROGRESSIVE meaning they build on each other week after week so best not to miss out or risk getting behind! We always end with a social dance until 11pm! ($5 class or $3 social dance for students!)
RSVP HERE 🙂
HAPPY CLUBS DAY! We had an amazing time meeting new friends and dancing with everyone yesterday! Thank you to all who attended and made it the wonderful day that it was! I am SO excited to announce our first lesson of the year will be on TUESDAY JANUARY 26TH AT 8:00PM IN THE TERMINUS (BESIDE 1848). Please bring clean indoor shoes and $5 ($10 for non-stuents!). We will also be selling memberships ($20 for students and $50 for non-students) Stay tuned for details regarding our FREE opening dance on SUNDAY JANUARY 31ST at 8:00pm on the UOttawa campus 🙂
Lastly, if you’re interested in coming with us to TUX please contact us via Facebook or at email@example.com !
Here’s a peak at some of the awesome social dancing from clubs day!
HAPPY NEW YEAR FRIENDS! We sure hope you had a relaxing holiday break! I’m excited to announce our first event of the year is happening on FRIDAY JANUARY 15TH in the UOttawa UCU! It’s Clubs Week and we’re in recruiting season for new dancers and new friends, but we can’t do it without all of you! So follow the jazz music on the first floor of the UCU to our table for some SOCIAL DANCING! We’ll be there all day from 9:00AM-4:00PM so stop by anytime for a dance or just to say hello! We miss you and want to see you! RSVP here 😀
Also, we post all our events in our SwingUO group on Facebook so be sure to join here!
Last, we strongly encourage you to come out social dancing on the weekend on Fridays at the Ottawa Swing Dance Society and on Saturdays at Bytown Swing ! They have lessons every week and it’s excellent place to practice and make new friends!
Speaking of which; see you soon friends! 🙂
- THANK YOU TO EVERYONE WHO CAME OUT TO OUR SOCIAL! It was a blast; and we had a great time! Congrats to our Ugly Sweater Contest winners Olivia and Lukas!
- SWINGUO= DONE FOR THE SEMESTER! But don’t worry, we’ll be back in action next semester! Stay tuned here for updates for the upcoming year and OPENING DANCE! Plus, look for us at CLUBS WEEK!
- Social dancing at Maxwell’s (on Elgin St)! The Stan Clark Orchestra is playing at Maxwell’s tomorrow evening starting at 8pm with a $5 cover charge. Come out for some great dances to a great band! You won’t regret it!
- Steph and I are teaching the second half of the BIG APPLE this Friday at OSDS at 7:30PM for the intermediate lesson! Come on out to brush up on your skills with us!
- Good luck on your exams and have a fun/safe holiday season! Here is my attached playlist of my most played songs plus a few extras for practicing purposes! See you soon friends! We miss you already xoxo Cassie
- Our annual holiday social is happening FRIDAY DECEMBER 4TH @ 6PM AT THE ROYAL OAK! Join us for food before an awesome UGLY CHRISTMAS SWEATER CONTEST! All are welcome! We hear there is SwingUO swag in prizes… RSVP HERE 🙂
- Our safety lesson last week was taught by Bruce and Alex! Highlights include: Body awareness and floor craft, comfortable and safe connection, how to adjust to our partner’s needs, and proper jazz etiquette. If you need to be briefed on the lesson, simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- SOCIAL DANCING!! As promised, VP Logistics Steph Green, VP Social Cassie Anderson and VP Instruction Sarah Gilchrist attend social dances EVERY weekend! Come dance with us; it’s a great way to get to know the greater Ottawa community and hangout with your Swing UO exec, we’re pretty cool, we’re also pretty biased…
- LAST SWINGUO NIGHT OF THE SEMESTER! This TUESDAY DECEMBER 1ST is our LAST NIGHT of the semester! So come get your pre-exam jitters out and build excitement for our HOLIDAY SOCIAL! (See item #1)
- As promised, our video of the week features your teachers Jer (front, in pink jacket) and Bruce (try to spot him in the very back left corner, in blue!) dancing with their track at Swing Out New Hampshire 2015! Song is Goody Goody – Naomi and her Handsome Devils xoxo Cassie
- ELECTIONS! Sarah Gilchrist is running for VP Instruction tomorrow night! Be sure to come out to elect our newest member to our exec!
- Bruce and Alex are teaching a lesson on dance safety and awareness TOMORROW evening! Respect and regard for our partner is absolutely crucial in any dance setting and tomorrow evening our wonderful instructors will brief you in appropriate jazz etiquette, identify what is safe and what is unsafe connection/behaviour, as well as give you proper training to ensure a fun and safe dance experience! Please make sure to be in attendance as this is a vital lesson everyone benefits from.
- BIG APPLE ACTION! Keep practicing your Big Apple as we WILL be doing it as warm up for the remainder of the semester! Please note there are MANY different variations, counts, and styles of the Big Apple so find what works best for you and make it your own! And DON’T WORRY if you missed the lesson last week! We will do a review lesson before our holiday break! In the meantime, here is one of our favourite instructional videos on how to do the Big Apple with counts! xoxo Cassie
- ELECTIONS! Many congratulations to be awarded to our new Beginner Rep Emerald UnRuh! We are excited for your new role on our team and look forward to working alongside you this year!
- Sarah Gilchrist is running for VP Instruction this Tuesday! Make sure to come out and vote to elect your newest exec member!
- OSDS GALA! Ottawa Swing Dance Society’s 16th Anniversary Gala is happening THIS FRIDAY! If you haven’t already, make sure you check out www.swingottawa.ca to purchase your tickets! It’s going to be an amazing night; we’ll see you there!
- Cassie and Steph taught a classic vintage routine this week called The Big Apple! It was choreographed by famous internationally renowned Lindyhopper Frankie Manning for the film “Keep Punching”. The original video clip can be found below! We will be reviewing and regularly practicing the Big Apple as a warm up for the remainder of the semester! 😀 xoxo Cassie
ELECTIONS ARE NEXT WEEK! ELECTIONS ARE NEXT WEEK! We encourage you to send your platforms to email@example.com before this Saturday November 7th for the positions of VP Instruction and Beginner Rep! We need enthusiastic members to take charge and get involved in our wonderful executive; it’s a rewarding and fun way to get involved in the larger swing dancing community!
WEEKEND DANCING! Please come dancing with us on the weekends on Fridays at Ottawa Swing Dance Society (St. Joseph’s church beside Laurier Second Cup, entry from the back) and Saturdays at Bytown Swing (Studio X). The best way to practice is by social dancing, and the best way to go social dancing is to go social dancing with us! 😉
ELECTIONS! Elections for BEGINNER REP and VP INSTRUCTION to be held on TUESDAY NOVEMBER 10TH; be sure to review the position duties here. Please have your platform submitted to us at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than Saturday November 7th.
HALLOWEEN SOCIAL! Our Halloween social will be taking place FRIDAY OCTOBER 23RD at 6:30PM at the Royal Oak (161 Laurier)! We will be having a group dinner followed by a walkover to Ottawa Swing Dance Society. Please bring clean indoor shoes and $7 cash for the lesson.
NO LESSONS READING WEEK! Please be advised there are NO LESSONS READING WEEK! We wish you a very relaxing break and can’t wait to see you all back in the Terminus on TUESDAY NOVEMBER 3RD!
We leave you with this classic vintage jazz routine, The Tranky Doo, done to Uptown Funk; try to practice over the break to be able to jam out with us upon return 😀 xoxo Cassie
1) ELECTIONS! Elections for VP INSTRUCTION and BEGINNER REP are soon! You can review the duties/responsibilities of the aforementioned positions here Constitution, Article 5. Please submit your platform along with which position you are running for by this Saturday to our email email@example.com Please note: You must be a UOttawa student to be eligible to run.
2) BLUES! Our Blues night is being taught by the wonderful Kathleen Lima next Wednesday evening (lesson & social dance) more details TBA
3) WE ARE IN THE TERMINUS NEXT WEEK! So please don’t come to the UCU Agora next week; come to the TERMINUS. Same time, same schedule as always (7pm intermediate lesson, 8pm beginner lesson, 9pm social dance).
Happy Thanksgiving friends! 😀
We just celebrated our first full week back for the 2014/2015 school year with not one, not two but three awesome SwingUO events!
- Friday September 20th we hosted our bi-annual Clubs Week table and boasted email signup, social dancing, and performances all day long in the UCU!
- Saturday September 21st SwingUO hosted social dancing and performances in the Ottawa Byward Market
- Sunday September 22nd our FREE opening dance! See if you can find yourself in the video below! xoxo Cassie
SwingUO is the University of Ottawa’s swing dance club. We’re a group of students who get together at dances, lessons, workshops, and social events to do what we love – swing dance! Come join us – no partner or experience is necessary
SwingUO est le club swing de l’Université d’Ottawa. Nous sommes un groupe d’étudiants qui se réunissent pour des soirées de danse, des séances de cours, des ateliers et d’autres activités sociales afin de faire ce que nous aimons le plus : danser le swing. Venez nous joindre – pas de partenaire ni de l’expérience est nécessaire
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or on Twitter @SwingU0
Explorez notre site web. Vous pouvez nous contacter à email@example.com et Twitter @SwingU0